Re: via vt8233a spu problems, 5.1r (bug?)

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:13:47 -0500
Mathew Kanner wrote:

> On Dec 09, Eddy wrote:
>> Dear mailing list,
>> I am new to you so please disregard some possibly wrong form of posting.
>> Actually I am using a FreeBSD 5.1-release system provided by an iso-
>> image I downloaded on Sun Nov 30 with a self-compiled kernel. I added
>> options pcm in order to be able using my onboad vt8233a chipset.
>> Sound works but even when letting xmms play its playlist I get
>> some error sort of "Check
>> you have the correct output plugin selected,
>> no other programs is blocking the soundcard,
>> your soundcard is configured properly". Seems as if xmms would block
>> itself.
>> If I double-click on the tracklist item it sometimes works again,
>> sometimes it doesn't.

[...]

> Hello Eddy,
> I believe some of your problems have been addressed since
> 5.1-RELEASE.  Please try FreeBSD 5.2-BETA or wait for the 5.2-RC1.
> --Mat

Hi Eddy,

I had the same exact problem with 5.1-RELEASE _and_ 5.2-BETA. However,
a patch just came out for 5.2-BETA that fixes it for me. You have three
choices:

1.) Wait for 5.2-RC's ISO images to become available on the FTP site.

2.) Download the 5.2-BETA mini ISO image, install 5.2-BETA, then install
    the patch found at the link below, recompile your kernel, and reboot:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/35240

3.) CVSUP your sources to -CURRENT, recompile your kernel, and reboot.

Hope that helps!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,