Re: last cvs Makefile.inc1 errors

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:14:50 -0500
At 10:19 AM -0800 12/9/03, David O'Brien wrote:

>I've been meaning to ask this for a while...
>why does everyone recomend:
>
>     make buildworld
>     make buildkernel
>     make installkernel
>     make installworld
>vs.
>     make buildworld
>     make kernel
>     make installworld

For me, it's mainly a dumb reason.  I have had 'make' fail during
the 'installkernel' phase (not often, but it happens).  I tend to
fix a problem and then blindly re-enter my most-recent make command.
If that was 'make kernel', then I end up rebuilding the kernel when
I didn't need to.

Also, it gives me a breakdown of where the time is going.  So I can
tell if it's going to 'buildkernel' vs 'installkernel'.

Also, occasionally I have written updates to 'installkernel'.  At
one time I had an update to install the debug-version of a kernel
in a different directory (on a separate partition), when I had a
problem with the root partition running out of space.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org