Re: fsck sig 11 (cannot alloc 4216257920 bytes for inoinfo)

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:16:16 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> Maybe I wasn't clea. This is what I did:

You weren't :)

> 1. Booted from CDROM, newfs, install minimal, etc.
>
> 2. Booted from ad0 to see the system up.
>
> 3. Booted from ad3 and dump/restore the ad3 partitions to ad0 using the
> -L swich for dump, as the partition ad3 partition where mounted.

sounds good.
> > then copy the data over
> > using tar instead of dump/restore.  Tar like this should be close enough:
> >
> > tar -C / -cpf - | tar -C /newroot/ -xpvf -
>
> The FAQ explicitly says not to use tar but dump/restore. "You should
> never use anything but dump(8) and restore(8) to move the root
> filesystem"

Thats only if you care about hardlinks and file flags (schg).  It doesn't
cause a wrecked system, though.

> > edit /newroot/etc/fstab, change entries

Did you remember to do this? If not you may have been fscking with the
wrong fsck, and fsck from 4.x will trip over a UFS2 filesystem that a 5.x
install would have created.