Re: why support alpha??

From: Robert Blacquiere <current_at_guldan.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:03:07 +0100
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:54:13AM -0500, eqe_at_cox.net wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, you have a point here but I never said alpha hackers are working in vain.
> I merely tryed to imply that their efforts could better serve the freebsd
> community by concentrating our efforts on just platforms that are more
> mainstream in the server market. I personally would stop dev. on anything
> lower than a PII for 5.2. Its not abandonment it's just progress, their are
> greater issues at hand that need attention like smp. Futher more netbsd will
> always support them as well as 4.9. so I don't really see any great loss
> here. I support a lan that has mostly modern equipment but it does have two
> 586 on the network. on one of them I have 5.1 running on it just for fun, but
> considering that getting more ram for the system would cost co. more than the
> mashine is worth it is really dead and when anything breaks in it. those 486s
> will see the dumpster w/o question.
>
>  Sign,
>     Eriq Lamar

Just a users opion. I'me using a couple of Alpha's as mail system, even
with full load the system runs smooth. I havent seen that on any other
Intel system yet. I think we should drop the intel support because of
the bad system architecture. Intel systems can't handle the IO the
SParc, PowerPC and Alpha systems can handle. So why in hell do we need
to support degraded systems like intel??

A sort of flame

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!