Install kernel access a PCMCIA CDROM

From: Justin Smith <jsmith_at_drexel.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:50:21 -0500
Can the kernel used to install the system in the 5.2 CD's access a
PCMCIA CDROM drive?

I would like to put 5.2 on a Toshiba Portege tablet PC but the only
CDROM it has is an external PCMCIA CDROM. Most Linux distributions (with
the exception of Mandrake --- my least favorite one) can boot but then
cannot find the CDROM because the proper drivers are not present in the
version of the kernel used to install the system.