Re: kernel pointer polka, possibly by mount_nfs

From: Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:10:50 +0100
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 07:49, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 10 Dec, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > I have a 100% reproducible case here where it looks like mount_nfs
> > tramples on the softc of a led(4) device.
> >
> > Stock -current kernel, HZ=1000, I've added a couple of sanity-checks
> > in the timeout routine of led(4) and they trigger reliably on a
> > byte which should not have been zero.
> >
> > In all cases so far, the currently running program is mount_nfs run
> > from /etc/rc.mumble somewhere.
> >
> > The machine is a Soekris 4501 booting diskless.
> >
> > I have also seen a reproducible page fault panic in in_pcbremlist()
> > if I put "set -x" as the second line in /etc/rc on the same machine,
> > it smells the same to me.
> >
> > This problem likely affects 5.2-WHATEVER as well, and could be
> > responsible for other Heisenbugs, and could be considered a
> > showstopper.
>
> That sounds a somewhat like the Heisenbug I've been on the hunt for in
> the last few weeks.  This one liked to munch some file system's struct
> mount, or whatever structure that mnt_data was pointing to.  The system
> in question typically blew up when attempting to lock mnt_lock in
> vfs_busy().  The trigger appeared to be the use of read-only ext2fs. The
> user who reported this problem said that the system would panic after a
> few hours.  After getting the user to sprinkle KASSERT()s around, I've
> pretty come to the conclusion that the bug is not in the code for the
> vfs top half.  Another bit of data is that the struct mount getting
> nuked doesn't appear to belong to ext2fs.  It's hard to tell whose it is
> though because it gets zeroed.
>
> I use NFS on my two -CURRENT boxes and haven't run into any problems,
> and I also haven't been able to reproduce any panics with ext2fs, though
> I haven't exercised that nearly as much.

I guess you are talking about my panics. Since we don't seem to make any
progress - would it help to find out when the change that causes the
problem was made?

I was running an end of september kernel for nearly two months without
having panics 3 times a day. The kernel of Nov 23 had these problems. So
the problem should be located somwhere in these two months.

Since this may take quite some time (and a lot of kernel and
worldbuilds), I'll only take it into account if there is a good chance
that this will reveal the source of the problem.