RE: FreeBSD 5.2-RC1 released

From: Sten <sten_at_blinkenlights.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:09:08 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Martin Blapp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Ditto here on SMP i386 (ata), UP alpha (isp) and UP sparc (ata).
> > However, turning off softupdates on all file systems in the installl results
> > in a successful install.
>
> Disable softupdate doesn't help here.

It looks, to me at least, like a bug that has been around for a while,
I got hit by it repeatedly when installing 5.1 on an sparc64 / qlogic isp.
Turning off softupdates just makes it harder to trigger it, certainly
not impossible. It looks like a race somewhere that requires specific
disk speeds / access patterns to trigger.

I'll try 5.2 and see if it still breaks.

--
Sten Spans

There is a crack in everything that's how the light gets in.