Re: audio lag in 5.2-Beta (card emu10k1)

From: Gordon Bergling <gordon_at_bsd-network.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:22:19 +0100
Hi,

On Fri Dec 12, 2003 at 12:17PM -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Munish Chopra wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Beyond that, several people (including me) noticed odd popping noises a
> > few seconds apart when playing any kind of audio. They're especially
> > noticeable if you play something fairly mellow.
>
> I had this last problem in 5.1-BETA under XMMS with the ESD mp3 output plugin.
> Switching to the OSS plugin at that time solved the problem. I don't experience
> this at all now that I have:
>
> 1.) Upgraded to 5.2-RC1, which includes a PCM patch
> 2.) Recompiled XMMS and anything else related to audio.
>
> I'd personally recommend that everyone experiencing these problems do the same
> and then post their results so we can have a decent baseline.

I am running 5.2-RC and before I didn't have that problems. On a
5.1-RELEASE the pcm device was a little bit stuttering on heavy IO
operations but this things are gone away.

I don't have much knowledge on debugging such things but I found that
the sounds lags anytime a program run into 'STATE pcmflu'. I discovered
this only but using 'top' with high priority. Maybe thats useful for
somebody. ;)

best regards,

	Gordon

--
Gordon Bergling <GBergling_at_bsd-network.org>	http://www.0xFCE3.net/
PGP Fingerprint:  7732 9BB1 5013 AE8B E42C  28E0 93B9 D32B C76F 02A0