Re: CURRENT state of acpi and -O'ptimisations in buildworld

From: Andreas Hauser <andy-freebsd_at_splashground.de>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 21:08:44 -0000
postfix wrote _at_ Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:23:22 +0300:
> On Friday 12 December 2003 18:00, Ryan Sommers wrote:
>

> > > The second is about buildworld. Usually I use this opimisaton flags to
> > > build world and userland (putting them to /etc/make.conf):
> > >
> > > CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -ffast-math -funroll-loops -mno-sse2 -march=pentium4
> > > COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -march=pentium4 -ffast-math -funroll-loops
> > > CPUTYPE= p4
> >
> > Building with any optimization higher then -O is not supported.
>
> Does it mean that -O3 really translated into -O then making buildworld OR that
> with any optimisation higher than -O you may have _success_ with buildworld
> BUT binaries may be _broken_? I have used -O2 and -O3 with 5-CURRENT for many
> months (cvsuping to -current since 5.1-release) without any problem until
> tonight.

There was a time with gcc when optimizations
had a lot of problems. These seem over now
and i like to work on getting at least -Os
(which kinda implies -O2) to work.

But still most testing probably is done
with -O only, so this therefore will be
more stable. Also when you try to bring
attention to problems with optimizations
try to see wether the source code or the
compiler is the problem. If it's the code
your chances of getting help will be higher.

DES committed some patches for libpam recently,
these should get you a bit farther with buildworld.
Not through though. Currently i am working
on fixing /usr.sbin/kldxref.
Maybe you like to offer to test the patches
as soon as they make a full buildworld go?

Andy