Re: atapicam broken by ata_lowlevel.c rev.1.23

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:05:02 -0700
Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 bremner_at_unb.ca wrote:
>

>>At Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:07:30 -0600,
>>Dan Nelson wrote:

>>>If it's any consolation: "me too" :)  Backing out 1.23 worked for me as
>>>well.  The system that I saw the hang on isn't SMP.  I also
>>>pre-emptively patched another SMP system before I had to drive in to
>>>fix it if it hung.
>>
>>I just wanted to report that my boot hang problems (which were "cured"
>>by reverting to revision 1.22 of ata-lowlevel.c) have gone away with
>>5.2-RC1; more precisely with 5.2-CURRENT of Dec. 10.
>

> This was fixed (apparently without knowing about all the reports of the
> bug's realized potential) in:
>
> % RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cam.c,v
> % Working file: atapi-cam.c
> % head: 1.29
> % ...
> % ----------------------------
> % revision 1.29
> % date: 2003/12/05 01:02:46;  author: scottl;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
> % Fix a potential problem with atapi-cam where an incorrect flag is passed
> % into the ata queueing layer.
> %
> % Approved by:	re
>
> Bruce

Oh, I knew about the reports, but I couldn't find a direct link between
the bug that I was fixing (merely via code inspection) and the reported
problems.  Since I couldn't prove the link, I didn't want to get
everyone's hopes up.  It's good to see that my suspicion of it fixing
the problems was correct =-)

Scott