Re: CURRENT state of modules

From: Norikatsu Shigemura <nork_at_ninth-nine.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 03:21:22 +0900
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:39:49 +0300
"toxa" <postfix_at_sendmail.ru> wrote:
> > 1. usb module has uhci and ochi drivers (and usb bus driver).
> >    You cannot use *only* uhci or ochi with usb module.  So
> >    uhci_load="YES" or ohci_load="YES" is not available.
> > 2. device usb is USB Bus driver.  device uhci and ochi is
> >    required device usb (USB Bus driver).
> > ugen -+           +- uhci (Universal Host Controller Interface)
> >       |           |
> >       +--- usb ---+
> >       |           |
> > umas -+           +- ohci (Open Host Controller Intereface)
> So if I understand you properly, I can load usb as module without having
> device uhci or device ohci in kernel at all, and 'device ohci/uhci', when
> included in the kernel, require 'device usb' in the kernel too because of
> required usb bus which is in 'device usb'?
> Am I right?

	Yes.  You can select one of following selection.

1. to use usb module.
   echo 'usb_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf.local
   Remove 'device usb' / 'device uhci' / 'device ohci' from your kernel
   configuration.

2. to use device usb.
   Don't echo 'usb_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf.local
   Add 'device usb' and ('device uhci' or/and 'device ohci') to your kernel
   configuration.