Re: HAVE TRACE & DDB Re: FreeBSD 5.2-RC1 released

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:37:30 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Scott Long wrote:

> > What happens if we forceably umount /dev while /dev/whatever holds a
> > mounted file system?  It looks like this is handled by vgonechrl().  It
> > looks to me like vclean() is going to do some scary stuff to this vnode.
>
> As Jeff pointed out, vfs_subr.c rev 1.461 might be the immediate problem
> here.  However, I can't believe that umounting devfs while it is in use
> can possibly be the right thing to do.  Does devfs have to be mounted in
> the /mnt?  Is it a chroot issue?

Can't comment too much on the remainder of this thread, as I'm still
catching up, but it is necessary to have a /dev inside the chroot() once
we start kicking off package installs, because package installers expect
to have a fairly populated (and "live") system.  Likewise, for X11
configuration.  This is one reason why a sysinstall split and reboot might
help clean up some of the install stages, by avoiding having to reproduce
a "live" system during the first boot.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research