Re: making devices in freebsd5 PART2

From: toxa <postfix_at_sendmail.ru>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:35:58 +0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "toxa" <postfix_at_sendmail.ru>
To: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 6:26 AM
Subject: making devices in freebsd5

> I don't know if freebsd-current maillist sutable for my question but let
me
> explain it.
> When I use freebsd-4, I can include any device in kernel or load it as
> module, and if there is no appropriate device in /dev I can use MAKEDEV
> script to create it. The common example is 'watch' utility which requires
> not only  'device snp' in kernel or 'kldload snp' but /dev/snp0 (snp1,
etc)
> also for working, so I go to /dev and type ./MAKEDEV snp0.
> But FreeBSD5 is using devfs, and there is no MAKEDEV in it. I kldload snp
> but cat't see /dev/snp? created, and I don't know how to create it by
hand.
> I was looking through snp, kldload, and watch manpages and freebsd
maillist
> archive but cannot see anything about this.
> So how can I create appropriate device (snp0 actually) or which program
> should do this for me?
>
> Thanks

Uhh, I should have to see devfs manpage first, not going to write a stupid
letter to you all, sorry me for that.
i guess it will be like 'devfs rule add path snp mode 666' but this one not
working:

[(6:34):/usr/src/sys/i386/conf ] kldstat|grep snp
<40>
 7    1 0xc5926000 3000     snp.ko
[(6:34):/usr/src/sys/i386/conf ] devfs rule add path snp mode 666
<41>
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error

Any ideas?

Thanks.