Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:47:58 -0600
Robert Watson wrote:
> Testing focuses for 5.2-RELEASE
>
>  +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |    Issue     |   Status    |Responsible|           Description            |
>  |--------------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------------|
>  |              |             |           |The PCM audio framework and device|
>  |              |             |           |drivers have been locked and free |
>  |PCM locking   |             |           |of Giant for quite a while, but   |
>  |and           |Needs testing|--         |LOR problems persist along with   |
>  |performance   |             |           |reports of poor audio performance |
>  |issues        |             |           |under load. These problems are    |
>  |              |             |           |believed to have been corrected,  |
>  |              |             |           |but more testing is desired.      |

This longstanding problem has now been fixed as far as I'm concerned.
Xmms hasn't played mp3s without a hicup for me on -CURRENT since at
least a year, if not two or more.  It's been so long I can't recall.

I'm testing with a soundblaster live! value card:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xef20-0xef3f irq 17 at device 17.0 on pci0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>

I'm running a -CURRENT SMP kernel on a Tyan S1832DL w/dual PII 350s.  I
only assume it's working with 5.2 RC1.

Pete...