Re: sk0 and dhclient

From: Hugh Brown <hbrown_at_dyaptive.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:10:20 -0800
Derek Tattersall wrote:
> * Marcus Larsson (kore_at_mindwipe.org) [031213 19:04]:
> >   I have a 3com 940 ethernet card and I have ifconfig_sk0="DHCP"
> >   in my rc.conf. When I boot my machine it hangs on dhclient but
> >   after a certain amount of time dhclient gives up and the boot
> >   process continues. When I login and run 'dhclient sk0' it
> >   works without any hazzle but I can't get an IP addy during
> >   bootup. Now is anyone else experiencing this?
>
> iBecause I can get it to work by just restarting dhclient after it time
> out, I figured I would try to earn my kernel hacker merit badge and
> figure out what's going on.  No joy so far.  It's got to be some sort of
> timing problem but I'm at a loss.  Anybody got a clue to offer?

There's a report of this problem from August [1].

I've got a similar problem with the 3c940 on an Asus P4P800
motherboard: it will not pick up an IPv6 address using rtsol *unless*
the interface is put into promiscuous mode ("tcpdump -n -i sk0" works
well).

Wilko Bulte wrote [2] that there are pending patches that deal with
promiscuous mode; I'm hoping that these will fix this problem.

FTR, I'm using 4.8, not current, with the sk driver grabbed from
4-RELENG; however, it appears to be substantially the same as the
driver in -CURRENT, and I've been watching this list for changes
to the driver to test.  I've been told by my betters that both DHCP
and IPv6 route solicitation depend on multicast being dealt with
correctly in the driver, so I'm guessing we have the same problem.

Apologies for not being completely on-topic; I realize that my not
running -CURRENT does skew things.  But I wanted to let you know
that I've seen problems with the 3c940 as well.

--
Hugh Brown
hbrown_at_dyaptive.com

Refs: