Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:51:02 -0500
On Dec 15, Munish Chopra wrote:
> On 2003-12-15 14:09 +0000, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> > On Dec 15, Munish Chopra wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not personally seeing any LOR's, but audio playback slows down under
> > > load, and every few seconds I hear popping noises during audio playback,
> > > whether under load or not.
> > >
> > > I've got a simple SB16:
> > > pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xd800-0xd83f irq 5 at device 15.0 on
> > > pci0
> > > pcm0: <TriTech TR28602 AC97 Codec>
> >
> > 	Hello Munish,
> > 	I would realy like to help you and others.  Please describe in
> > detail the circumstances that create the problem.  Are you
> > experiencing buffer overruns or underruns?  How many devices are
> > sharing the IRQ? What are they?  What happens when you cat a raw file
> > to the device?  Does this happen with VCHANs?  Have you tried the patch
> > I posted to -current under the heading "sound patch for pop &
> > crackles"?
> > 	Please read the pcm man page for a better description on how
> > the answer the above.
> >

> There are two distinct problems in my case:
>
> 1) Load can be virtually zero, moderate, or heavy, either way every few
>    seconds (anywhere between 2 and 10 seconds or so) I hear snaps or
>    pops in the output. Some are pretty hard to hear, others are obvious,
>    depending on what's actually playing.
>
> 2) When untarring large gzip'ed or bzip2'ed tarballs, playback begins to
>    "slow down" to something like half the normal speed or less. I first
>    noticed this during portupgrade, when the XFree86 tarballs are
>    unpacked.
>
> Interestingly enough, even when I hammer the disk with several FTP
> transfers and copies, I don't see the "slow down" effect.
>
> I'm seeing neither buffer overruns nor underruns. With hw.snd.verbose
> set to 3, here's the output of `cat /dev/sndstat` towards the end of a
> random MP3:
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at io 0xd800 irq 5 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex
> default)
>         [pcm0:record:0]: spd 0, fmt 0x00000000/0x00000008, flags
> 	0x00000000, 0x00000000
>         interrupts 0, overruns 0, hfree 4096, sfree 0
>         {hardware} -> feeder_root(0x00000000) -> {userland}
>         [pcm0:play:0]: spd 44100/44099, fmt 0x10000010, flags
> 	0x00005030, 0x00000000, pid 7063
>         interrupts 21630, underruns 0, ready 129600
>         {userland} -> feeder_root(0x10000010) -> {hardware}

	Hello Munish,
	Thank you for the report.  What program are you using?  Could
I also have a dmesg.
	Here are a few random thouhts:  I'm going to try and tackle #1
in your issues above.  #2 seems like bus contention or somthing like
that (I vaguely recall Cameron charecterizing it like that).  Also, in
your /dev/sndstat output, your hardware speed != playing speed.  Very
wierd and I haven't seen that before, I wonder what it means.  Could
you also try
	sysctl hw.snd.report_soft_formats=0
	retest and provide the sndstat output.

	In regards to the raw playing, forget it for now, though I
might ask later.

	--Mat

--
	I don't even know what street Canada is on.
			- Al Capone