Re: once again 5.2 RC and watchdog timeout

From: Radek Kozlowski <radek_at_raadradd.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:50:04 +0100
On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 11:08:52 PM, Kay Lehmann wrote:

> I didn't tried it before either, but I also had no problems before with
> my NICs and irq-stuff. There were some postings before, which said that
> watchdog has been gone for some people when disabling acpi, so I thought
> I give it a try (since I do not know what the problem could be). So I'll
> take a look at your config, but my first look doesn't show anything
> remarkable.

I had a problem with 'watchdog timeout' on my notebook after disabling
acpi (and I had to disable it because when enabled my touchpad
wouldn't work) everytime dhclient started. I searched on google and
found out, that not setting media type of your interface could cause a
problem. I simply put the appropriate line in dhclient.conf setting my
card's media to 100baseTX and it worked out of hand.

I see in your ifconfig that you have 'autoselect' in rl0. Try setting
it to 10baseT/UTP or 100baseTX before enabling the interface. I am not
sure whether it's possible in rc.conf, but you could write a little
script for instance and put it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. The script
could be something like this:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig rl0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
ifconfig inet ...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Radek