Re: sound problems

From: Dorin H <bj93542_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:31:12 -0800 (PST)
--- Josh Taylor <bludstayne_at_phreaker.net> wrote:
> I have a problem with audio in FreeBSD 5.2-RC1. I am
> trying to use my
> C-Media on-board AC97 sound, but it doesn't work. I
> recompiled the
> kernel and put "device pcm" in it, and I put
> "snd_driver_load="YES"" in
> my boot loader config file. When it loads, it
> detects the sound and
> loads it, but whenever I go to play anything, I get
> no output from the
> speakers. I even tried using "kldload snd_driver"
> and it doesn't work.
> It loads it correctly, but doesn't play anything. My
> output from "grep
> pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot" returns two devices. One of
> them is SiS 7000
> and one is C-Media AC97. I don't know what the SiS
> 7000 is doing there,
> but the C-Media thing is correct. I used FreeBSD
> 4.9-RELEASE and the
> sound worked correctly. I think it's something with
> "options PNPBIOS".
> 4.9 would let you use that option, but 5.2 says that
> it is an invalid
> option. I think that's the problem.

You could have on-board sound and additional sound
card? Is it possible that generic snd_driver loads
both modules that will fight for the same resources?
See kldstat if two sound modules are loaded (in
addition to snd_pcm). Just 2c. If so, drop snd_driver
and load only the correct driver.
Again, just hints.
/Dorin.