Re: if_tun

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:08:47 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Ivan Voras wrote:

> If I understand correctly, loading if_tun.ko should make /dev/tun entry
> appear. But 'kldload if_tun' on 5.2RC1 writes following errors:
>
> module_register: module if_tun already exists!  Module iff_tun failed to
> register: 17 can't re-use a leaf (if_tun_debug)!
>
> Subsequent 'kldstat' invocations show that if_tun.ko is loaded, but
> there is no /dev/tun.

It sounds like if_tun is compile dinto your kernel.  Try "ls -l
/dev/tun0".  The act of looking up the pseudo-device name will cause it to
be instantiated, and as such, any software that attempts to open() one
will find what it needs.  You only run into problems if the program tries
to list the directory first to see if the file is there ("Do, or do not,
there is no try.")

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research