Re: smbfs 4G max file size

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:05:05 -0800
Benjamin Close wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Whilst tinkering with some backups the other day I noticed that
> smbfs capped out at 4G.
> Does the protocol restrict it to this limit or is there something else?

It is a limitation imposed by the 32 bit file size in bytes field
for the over the wire protocol.  It occurs becaus the FreeBSD SMBFS
client code uses a slightly older, cruftier version of the SMB
protocol (at least this is my understanding).

I've acutally suggested a couple of times in the past that someone
take the Darwin SMBFS code from MacOS X (10.3, Panther), which is
now up on the Apple developer site, and back-port it to FreeBSD.

-- Terry