Re: ATA + DMA still giving repeatable freezes

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:53:48 -0600
Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I built world after cvsup'ing -CURRENT this morning and am still having the
> same ATA READ_DMA hangs that started in early October on my system.  I can
> repeat the hangs at will; the machine serves as an Amanda server, and
> launching a backup for itself plus 3 client machines is guaranteed to
> trigger it:
>
>     ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left)
>     ata0: resetting devices ..
>     ad0: FAILURE - already active DMA on this device
>     ad0: setting up DMA failed

Am I the only person seeing this?  I filed a PR but haven't heard
anything yet.

Additional information:

This happens whether or not I disable ACPI.

I've used atacontrol to select suboptimal drive modes, but still get the
crashes at anything higher than BIOSPIO.  To be explicit, I still get
the READ_DMA errors when the mode is set to PIO4.

I'm at my wits' end and ready to revert to 4.x, although I realize that
I'll eventually have to bring this server back to a 5.x install unless I
want to hang on to 4.9 or 4.10 forever.
--
Kirk Strauser