5.2-RC1 impresiions

From: Artem 'Zazoobr' Ignatiev <timon_at_memphis.mephi.ru>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:24:56 +0300
Hi,...
My old hdd just went down, so I had to reinstall freebsd completely from
the scratch second time for a three years on my home box, via ftp.

Impression one: dynamic root. I've got a habbit of
doing 'cd /etc; for i in syslog.conf rc.conf ttys; do ed $i; done'
in fixit console during the install process once /bin had been settled down.
Whoops - with dynamic root one must wait for /lib to come up

Impression two: pkg_add. It is in base system. Trying to bring
system to multiuser run-level ASAP, i've choosed to install only bin and
catman distros. Trying to do 'pkg_add -r bash' resulted in ld-elf trapping
without libssl.so.3  (ha, ldd tells me that it requires also libcrypto).
So I must say, installing only bin distributions leads to inconsistent
system. pkg_add(1) either must be compiled without cryptostuff (if
possible), or there must be some other solution.

Impression three (Implied from impression two):
'Do you want to visit main menu...'? Of course, I do. I need sshd and
ssh, and working pkg_add. So I go to distributions, select the crypto
distribution, go to top level - and sysinstall runs from the very
beginning. Hey, I've downloaded bin distribution, and catman, and I don't
want to download them once more (and pay for them twice, in particular).

Just thinking, whether it worth filling a PR...