Continuing ATAng/atapicam hang with secondary slave

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:18:49 -0800
After a recent batch of commits to 5.2 and current, I expected a new
kernel would fix my problems with my CD drive on ata1 as the slave. The
mobo is an ASUS P5A.

When I boot with the drive connected, the boot hangs solid while probing
the CD. I will try to connect a cable to my laptop tomorrow to get the
full output of a 'boot -v', but I can say that it goes into a infinite
loop sending out the message:
(probe3:ata1:0:1:0): Retrying Command

These shoot out so quickly that I can't see anything earlier.

I can boot very reliably with a kernel from July. I didn't update this
system to CURRENT between then and earlier this month and that's when
the problem began. I have atapicam in my kernel. Without it, the problem
does not occur.

Any idea what is happening here?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer