Re: services under /usr/local/etc/rc.d run twice on boot

From: Richard Coleman <richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:26:11 -0500
jqdkf_at_army.com wrote:

>>Copy-paste from /usr/srt/UPDATING:
>>20030829:
>>  The following rc.d scripts have been removed and should be
>>  deleted from your installation: atm2.sh atm3.sh devdb
>>  localdaemons network1 network2 network3. Depending on when
>>  you last updated world and used mergemaster(8) you may or
>>  may not have problems during the rc boot sequence. The simplest
>>  solution is an 'rm -rf /etc/rc.d/*' and then 'mergemaster -i'.
>>  The atm2.sh atm3.sh and devdb scripts were removed some time
>>  ago, so depending on when you installed -CURRENT these scripts
>>  may or may not exist on your system.
>>--
>>  Huginn
>

> Thanks a lot. It does solve the problem. But I wonder why freebsd
> doesn't remove those obsolete files automatically after each upgrade.
> It would make the system cleaner and avoid such difficult to track
> problems.

Then someone would scream bloody murder the first time mergemaster
screwed up a system because it removed a file before the system was
ready for it.  I think mergemaster does about the right amount of
assistance during a build work cycle.  Trying to make it "smarter" would
result in an endless series of special cases that would be a bitch to
maintain.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com