Re: Panic with CD use

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:10:53 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 heath_at_cng.fr wrote:

> This is a 'me too' report for the problems that have been reported on
> this list over the last few weeks with problems ripping CDs and/or
> mounting CDs.  I have not attached a panic report as it is essentially
> the same as those already reported (a page fault in
> devstat_remove_entry), but I can if requested.

I can reproduce this. It appears to be geom doing something goofy.  The
cdparanoia command causes geom to "taste" the audio CD and sets up the
devices as such.  For the mount, though, you are probably doing

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt

When you do this, geom does a re-taste of the disc and somewhere between
removing the old devices and instantiating the new, something ends up
zeroed and devstat trips over it.

Whats worse, there is no workaround; putting an audio CD in your -current
box makes it impossible to use any other CD until you reboot. Grrr.

I was hoping the recent hacks to save sysinstall from tripping over a
disappearing vnode would fix this but it hasn't.