Re: usb problem with 5.2-RC1

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:26:27 -0500
Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
>> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:07:52 -0500
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>>
>> Howdy list,
>>
>> Upon resuming from an APM induced suspended state as
>> described here:
>>
>>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/36652/match=tracking+down+ata0+problem
>>
>> I experience USB problems. Specifically, my mouse
>> doesn't work and I get these messages from the kernel:
>>
>> Dec 23 09:35:50 trevarthan kernel: ums0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 2)
>> disconnected Dec 23 09:35:50 trevarthan kernel: ums0: detached
>> Dec 23 09:35:58 trevarthan moused: unable to open /dev/ums0: No such file
>> or directory Dec 23 09:37:09 trevarthan kernel: uhub1: device problem,
>> disabling port 2 Dec 23 09:38:30 trevarthan kernel: uhub1: device
>> problem, disabling port 2 Dec 23 09:39:52 trevarthan kernel: uhub1:
>> device problem, disabling port 1 Dec 23 09:39:52 trevarthan kernel:
>> uhub1: port error, restarting port 2 Dec 23 09:52:50 trevarthan kernel:
>> uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2 Dec 23 09:55:10 trevarthan
>> kernel: uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
>
> Yes, this is a well known problem with USB. Some fixes for several of the
> USB drivers were committed last week, but the primary issues with the
> USB and resume remain unresolved. Nate has posted a request for help in
> finding this long-standing bug.

How long-standing is it? Always worked great for me under 5.1-RELEASE.

> The normal work-around is to build without USB and only load USB when
> needed, but a USB mouse requires it all the time, so...
>
> USB also blocks the best power-saving mode (C3) on my system, so I
> really hope that some of this can be tracked down soon. But, with the
> latest commits to ACPI code I have finally switched to running with ACPI
> most of the time. Things do continue to get better.

Before I switched from 5.1-RELEASE to 5.2-BETA (and then -RC1 later) I got
ACPI S3 working on my laptop. I just had to issue an `atacontrol detach 1`
before suspending. APM worked great under 5.1-RELEASE also.

S3 doesn't work at all under -RC1 for me. It suspends, but I get a blank
screen on resume and no keyboard response, AFAICT. Have there been meaningful
ACPI commits since -RC1?

So far my general impression is that 5.2 is a slight regression from 5.1 and 5.1
was a slight regression in many ways from 4.x. I know a LOT has changed since
5.1 and I can appreciate that. After all, my external USB->ATAPI 2.5" usb hard
disk enclosure works for the first time in 5.2-BETA and -RC1 (it didn't work in
4.8, or 5.1). Also, I'm incredibly excited about all the kernel threading work
going on right now. I run many dual CPU machines at work and I can't wait to
try out a stable SMPng setup on them.

But I'm craving stability at this point. The bleeding edge is getting uncomfortable.

:)

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,