Re: Strange X freezes, system otherwise responsive

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:15:31 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Christopher Nehren wrote:

> I'm not quite sure where to submit this query, but I'll start here. Up
> until recently, I've had a system running X continually for weeks at a
> time with very few interruptions. I'm using the newest nVidia drivers
> with an MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200. The problem is that after a period of use
> (seemingly random), X will just freeze. I can't switch to a virtual
> terminal, and alt-ctrl-backspace causes a monitor diagnostic that I see
> when the monitor isn't receiving a signal from the rest of the machine.
<snip>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance with this. I'd be very pleased
> to provide any other information.

There's a number of things that you can supply that would help diagnose
this problem:

- What revision level of the XFree86-Server and XFree86-libraries ports
are you running?
- uname -a
- A verbose boot's dmesg.
- Have you recently upgraded your kernel across versions of current and
forgotten to rebuild affected ports. See src/UPDATING for details.
- When you say the "nVidia drivers" you're using the official nVidia
driver and not XFree86's nv(4) driver, correct?

Regards,