Re: vmware2 doesn't build

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:29:13 -0600
On Tuesday 23 December 2003 04:38 pm, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> If I hack around these two by just using the non-SMP code even in #if
> SMP, it compiles.  I didn't try to run it yet, but I think I might have
> a good chance it runs since I'm not on an SMP machine.

I've been hacking around this pretty much the same way ever since the apic
changes -- it's a UP machine so I just disabled building the SMP module.

This was working for me (post apic changes) until just before the 5.2 branch
point.  Somewhere in there something changed and it now compiles and seems to
run, but as soon as the VM is turned on, the disks on the real system just go
dead.  Can't access any files at all, get some messages about ata command
timeouts, and the system slowly dies as processes get hung one by one.  It
seems to be killing interrupt delivery somehow.

I *KNOW* someone was talking about nearly identical symptoms within the last
week or two, the only difference is that it was in reference to vmware 3
instead of 2...

Craig