Re: new interrupts not working for me

From: Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:11:05 -0600
John Baldwin wrote:
>>http://bis.midco.net/pmes/tyan_s1832dl.asl
>

> Oh... my... goodness.  Go beat your BIOS writer UP!
> NOW!

Yeah, Tyan isn't the best about BIOSes, the BIOS for the
s1834 is even worse than this one AFAIK.

> it always uses the APIC for
> Windows NT and uses the PIC for everything else:
>
>             Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
>             {
>                 If (MCTH (\_OS, "Microsoft Windows NT"))
>                 {
>                     Return (PIC1)
>                 }
>                 Else
>                 {
>                     Return (PIC0)
>                 }
>             }

I eliminated the if/else and just `Return (PIC1)'.  Now the machine
boots with ACPI enabled.  It's a Holly Jolly ACPI X-mas!  :-)

> Does this board work in SMP mode in, say, XP or Linux?  From
> the above it seems it wouldn't. :(  It needs to be testing
> the value of the APIC variable to determine which table to use,
> not the OS name.  See if there's a BIOS update.  If there isn't,
> go complain to your motherboard manufacturer to get it fixed.
> If you want to get your BIOS working for now, the guys on the
> acpi-jp_at_ list (cc'd) can help you patch your AML to fix this
> brain damage and get your machine working.  This is the worst
> use of _OS I have seen to date myself.

There's no chance for a BIOS update.  I'm not sure about XP or Linux,
but BeOS sure does support both procs.

I'm still seeing the 'ACPI timer looks BAD' messeges and now I've
noticed 'acpi_cpu1: Failed to attach throttling P_CNT'.  You can see my
full dmesg here: <http://bis.midco.net/pmes/dmesg.txt>. I sure would
appreciate more tips and tricks to clean this up.  Iasl outputs three
errors and a warning when I compile my ASL file:
tyan_s1832dl.asl   938:                 Field (PSRG, DWordAcc, NoLock,
Preserve)Error    1047 -                                   ^ Access
width is greater than region size

tyan_s1832dl.asl   941:                     PS2E,   1
Error    1051 -                                ^ Access width of Field
Unit extends beyond region limit

tyan_s1832dl.asl  2078:         Store (\GFAN._OFF (), Local0)
Error    1029 -  Called method returns no value ^

tyan_s1832dl.asl  2081:     Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2026 -                        ^ Reserved method must return a
value (_WAK)

Thanks and Cheers,
Pete...