Re: [RELENG_5_2] Cardbus trouble

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:13:00 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20031225094520.GB23939_at_FreeBSD.org.ua>
            Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 06:00:46PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: [...]
: > You may try setting hw.cbb.start_memory as well.
: >
: Could you remind me, what's the story behind it?  My cards
: are only detected when I set it in /boot/loader.conf, per
: your suggestion, but why is it necessary at all.  I know
: that PCI bus code lacks some support for it, but this is
: more of a question why it is neccessary to _change_ the
: default value of this variable on some machines?

Because the current pci bus code assumes that the BIOS will assign all
resources and is ill prepared to do anything beyond the most
rudamentary assignments itself.  It also bogusly doesn't allocate the
resources it sees on device enumeration (*ALL* decoded resources
should be allocated, even if the driver doesn't wind up using them).
I've got some code that starts to fix these issues, but more work is
needed.  One of the biggest areas that needs work is to more fully
support the heirarchical structure of the resources on the pci bus.

Warner