Re: ImageMagick on 5.2-RC1 fails with pthread error (libkse)

From: BSDC <bsdc_at_xtremedev.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 02:05:28 -0700
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 09:10:35AM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, BSDC wrote:

> > > I can't reproduce this on my -current system compiling non-threaded.. you
> > > should have mentioned you are compiling with WITH_IMAGEMAGICK_THREADS.  It
> > > does show up when using that option.
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot I had that set in my /etc/make.conf. I am compiling
> > ImageMagick with threads, and I'm also libmap'ing libc_r to libkse.
> > I have also updated to the latest -current as well.
> >
> > > This is probably a bug. Please send a message to the port maintainer; they
> > > need to update the port Makefile to include the correct thread
> > > selection bits.
> >
> > The port maintainer is set to ports_at_freebsd.org, I have tried there and
> > got no significant replies. I have also emailed mi_at_freebsd.org, who was
> > the last person to commit to the port. His reply was:
> >
> > "This is seems to be beyond the port maintainers or the vendor and is
> > likely to be the -lkse related problem. You should, probably, ask the
> > KSE developers or the -current mailing list.
> >
> >         -mi"
>
> What is PTHREAD_LIBS set to in ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk?  If you haven't
> modified it it should be PTHREAD_LIBS=-lc_r.

It is indeed set to -lc_r, and the fourth line down below this does show
that -lc_r is being used.  But apparently not for the making of
libMagic.la.

> The problem appears to be in the build of "../libtool".  It is
> probably ignoring the option "-lc_r".  Take a look at it (libtool)
> and see if you can find where it processes (or doesn't process)
> -lc_r.

I don't know much if anything about libtool. But will give it atleast a
glance.

> This isn't a libkse issue.  My guess is that either the port is
> broke when threads are enabled or you've got something wrong in
> your ports tree.

I didn't think it was a libkse issue. In thinking that it might be a bad
port cvsup, I rm -rf'd ports and recvsup'd from cvsup.freebsd.org, and
had encountered the same issue. Ruling out a local ports modification
issue (that and another poster had said he got the same error with his
threaded ImageMagick build).