Re: SATA disks on 5.2-CURRENT

From: Jamie Clark <jclark_at_metaparadigm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:48:09 +0800
Lanny Baron wrote:

> Hi,
> What SATA Hard Disks are you using?

A pair of Maxtor 6Y160M0  (don't have the exact revision and probe
message at hand).
I also tried a Seagate (  <ST3120024A/3.31> ATA/ATAPI rev 6 ) with a
PATA/SATA dongle. The dongle has sunlink chip - which I think is same as
Sil3611.

The Seagate was a complete dead duck under -CURRENT - boot hanging with
the "missing interrupt" messages. The Maxtors seemed a bit happier but
still got the same spurious failure messages during and after boot. I
never tried to build a filesystem on them. I can confirm that all of the
above devices were happy under Windows (copied about 20 gigs each way
for a test) so I guess it is not *completely* broken hardware, although
it may fall short of the spec that the BSD drivers expect.

I never tried legacy mode with the two SATA channels enabled so I can't
comment on that.

-Jamie