Re: fsck on reboot in 5.x

From: Joan Picanyol <lists-freebsd-current_at_biaix.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:05:39 +0100
[dropped dwhite from To:, I assume he doesn't need two copies]

* Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> [20031231 04:02]:
> > On a related isue, what does fsck do with fs's on vinum volumes with
> > regard to sequential/parallel fsck'ing?
> I'm not sure what you're asking about here. Vinum volumes are configured
> before non-root filesystems are checked and mounted, so it would work the
> same as non-vinum volumes.
>From the man page:

     In preen mode, after pass 1 completes, all remaining file systems are
     checked, in pass number order running one process per disk drive in par-
     allel for each pass number in increasing order.

What does fsck consider a "disk drive" in the following setup?

[joan_at_iaeste-catalunya:~]0 $sudo vinum ld
D vermell               State: up       /dev/ad2s2d     A: 38435/74786 MB (51%)
D verd                  State: up       /dev/ad0s2d     A: 38435/74786 MB (51%)
[joan_at_iaeste-catalunya:~]0 $sudo vinum lv
V tmp                   State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:       5119 MB
V std-var               State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1024 MB
V home                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         10 GB
V base                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        512 MB
V package               State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1024 MB
V apps                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       5120 MB
V std-root              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        512 MB
V aegee                 State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         15 GB
[joan_at_iaeste-catalunya:~]0 $

Still on the fsck man page, what determines "bgfsck availability" as
refered here?

                                                  If background checking is
     available, fsck is invoked twice.  It is first invoked at the traditional
     time, before the file systems are mounted, with the -F flag to do check-
     ing on all the file systems that cannot do background checking.

tks
--
pica

p.s.: your clarifications are greatly appreciated, tks for the time