Re: Problems running Quake 3 on -CURRENT / X 4.3.0

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:57:59 +0200
It looks like this problem is still around. Short problem description:

all inputs are lagging behind when running Quake 3 Arena with Radeon video
adapters (hardware accelerated), and the graphics look like they are
generated in bursts, while framerate is just fine.

I just noticed that I get the same problem with quake2lnx (games/quake2lnx)
when I start it with 'sdlquake2' or 'quake2 +set vid_ref glx' and play at a
resolution of 1024x768 or higher. I can play it without many problems at
800x600. Same as before, the movements themselves look smooth, but they are
lagging, and occasionally there is a glitch where it seems like the system is
trying to keep up with what is actually happening.

My system is a Athlon XP 2000+ with a ATi Radeon R100. I doubt that it is too
slow to run Quake 2.

As this one is not Linux-emulated, I guess it's not in the Linux emulation -
more likely in X. Does anyone know what causes this, or maybe it is already
fixed in the XFree86 CVS?

Also, can anyone running -STABLE see if this problem only affects -CURRENT or
not?

Best regards,

Arjan

This is the last I've seen on this issue on the lists: