Re: [acpi-jp 2381] Re: Updated ec-burst.diff patch

From: Michael Smith <msmith_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:34:30 -0700
On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 10:59 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> It makes sense to export the values set by tunables into the sysctl
>> MIB, but by their
>> very nature they're not suitable for conversion to sysctls.
>>
>>   = Mike
>
> So is what you are saying...
>
> "tuneables should be converted at boot to read-only sysctls?"

No.

A tunable is just a mechanism for setting a variable very early in
the boot process.

A sysctl is a mechanism for getting/setting a variable while the
system is running.

It makes sense to attach both to variables of interest.

> I can imagine some things that could be changed again once running,
> so maybe it would not be a cast in iron thing...

There is probably a class of variables that may need to be tuned before
the system is up to the point where rc.sysctl runs, yes.

  = Mike

--
Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?