Re: /dev/shm

From: Christopher Vance <vance_at_aurema.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:23:47 +1000
On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 08:14:44PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
: On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:58:19AM +0200, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
: > Myron J. Mayfield wrote:
: > >start it.  It gives me an error saying cant find /dev/shm.  I tried
: > >adding this to /dev but was unable to.  Does anyone have any
: >
: > For some unexcused reason there is the trend in Linux to represent
: > everything as kind of a wired half finished pseudo file system. /proc pipe
: > devicefs sysctl and so on... The list is really long. Even shared memmory is
: > mapped to  ehrm.... a filesystem. This is "expected" to be mounted at
: > /dev/shm by the system. You can't expect FreeBSD to follow this path...
:
: Linux isn't the only system that does this (learn a little, criticize less).

If you're talking about Plan 9 or Inferno, they at least have a
history of finishing their filesystems and understanding why it's done
that way.  If Linux attempts to copy without understanding, and
doesn't complete the job, it doesn't imply that the original idea was
a Bad Thing, only that the implementation sucks.

--
Christopher Vance