Re: /dev/shm

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:42:35 -0500
In the last episode (Jul 07), Matthias Andree said:
> Marcin Dalecki schrieb am 2003-07-07:
> > Matthias Andree wrote:
> > >Update your Linux top or run fewer processes on it then. :->
> >
> > You know that file system name lookup is one of the most expensive
> > system calls under UNIX?
>
> So what? If you don't like the interface because it does ever so
> expensive file system lookups (I wonder what's so expensive if no
> disk drive latencies are involved), suggest a better one and donate
> an implementation.
>
> I'm sure I'd find disadvantages of non-Linux top if I only cared to
> look. I don't. It works when I need it, it's not in my way otherwise,
> that's as much as I care.

There is already a functional non-procfs implementation that has been
around long before procps top: groupsys top 3.5b12 (i.e. the top that
all other non-Linux systems use) compiles fine on even the newest Linux
kernels with the attached patch.  It's one of the first things I build
on a new Linux box.  Procps top is way too slow; it takes a full 5
seconds just for the first screen refresh on a mostly-idle box with 400
processes.  groupsys top is basically instantaneous.  And don't think
about accidentally hitting a cursor or function key which running
procps top; it doesn't even use curses, so it beeps and waits 2 seconds
for each character in the escape sequence :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com