Re: systematic panic on an SMP machine for 5.1-Release

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:28:21 -0700
On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:47:23PM +0200, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Le Tuesday 08 July 2003 21:30, Steve Kargl a ?crit :
> > On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:09:20PM +0200, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > > 	TfH
> > >
> > > PS : as I said, the box has a 2GB RAM, so moving around the vmcore is not
> > > easy
> >
> > Add "options DISABLE_PSE" and "options DISABLE_PG_G"
> > to your kernel configuration.  Report back if you
> > still have a panic.
>
> will do tomorrow morning
>
> PS : is this an indication of bug in the p-III or in the chipset ?
> (ISTR these options could be used to get around unnamed errata of the p-IV)

You'll need to search the mailing list archive for vague ramblings
by Terry Lambert about these option, large memory machines,
and bugs in the Intel CPUi architecture.  I was hoping to avoid
Yet Another Terry Email (YATE) on the subject, which simply
tells us how clever he is without giving any details.

--
Steve