Re: wierd dsl performance with -CURRENT

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <20030709122610.E3831_at_alpha.yumyumyum.org>,
> Kenneth Culver  <culverk_at_yumyumyum.org> wrote:
> > 	Recently, for some wierd reason, with FreeBSD-CURRENT my DSL
> > downloads have gotten about 10-15 KB/sec slower than they used to be.. I
> > used to get 160KB/sec downloads, and now can only manage about 145. I was
> > wondering if there are any ideas what is causing this. I'm sure it's a
> > FreeBSD problem because when I boot up windows or hook my mac straight to
> > the dsl modem, each of those gets the full 160KB/sec download (from the
> > same site, ftp2.freebsd.org) but when I download from FreeBSD, the speed
> > drops.
>
> Just as an experiment, try setting "net.inet.tcp.newreno" to 0 using
> sysctl(8).  It might help; it might not.  Please let us know.

I think he is timing transfers from a Mac THROUGH the BSD box..
If so then a change in throughput would be due to a change in ppp
behaviour..

It would be interesting to see if it changed with
1/ using mpd as the ppp client (as it uses an in-kernel pp node)
2/ ULE changes anything (as it may be that it's a scheduler thing
with ppp being a user program).

julian