Re: Issues with vinum on current?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:23:23 +0930
On Wednesday,  9 July 2003 at 21:40:43 +0100, Chris Hedley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a quick look for the subject topic but didn't find anything, so...
> is anybody aware of outstanding problems with vinum?  I'm getting sporadic
> crashes (see below) and vinum frequently fails to start properly, losing
> state information and occasionally barfing when an attempt is made to
> open/read a vinum device once it's been brought up manually.  Anyway, I'm
> running 5.1-CURRENT updated on sat 5th, although this problem has been
> around for a while; the vinum config is fairly straightforward, a pair of
> mirrored discs with several partitions, and another pair of discs which
> are just managed with vinum, no mirroring or striping or anything like
> that, which also contain several partitions.  The crashes I've been
> getting are as follows:
>

> "where" shows:
>
> #22 0xc03ab078 in calltrap ()
> #23 0xc2f29288 in launch_requests (rq=0xc2eb3bc0, reviveok=0)
>     at /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrequest.c:448
> #24 0xc2f28e22 in vinumstart (bp=0xcd2eb6d0, reviveok=0)
>     at /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrequest.c:296
> #25 0xc2f28b56 in vinumstrategy (biop=0xcd2eb6d0) at
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrequest.c:159
>
> and "l /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrequest.c:448" produces:

> 447                     /* fire off the request */
> 448                     DEV_STRATEGY(&rqe->b);
>

> Any ideas?  Or should I provide a bit more info first?  My system is
> a dual PIII 600, and has several discs attached via 3 scsi channels.

We've seen a few of this syndrome, but I have difficulty reproducing
it here.  I don't think it has anything to do with the changes I've
made in -CURRENT recently.  It would help if you could send me the
information I ask for in the man pages or on
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

Greg