Re: wierd dsl performance with -CURRENT

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Kenneth Culver wrote:

> > Can you do a
> > 'netstat -s -p tcp >> tcpstats' before and after the transfer?
> >
> > This should tell us if there were retransmits etc.  It could be a
> > difference in minimum rtt values or a congestion issue that results in
> > timeout for our stack but some other recovery mechanism with other stacks.
> >

> Here is the output of the netstat before and after transferring "kern.flp"
> for FreeBSD 5.1:
>
> tcp:
[...]
>         35600 packets received

[...]
>                 1220 out-of-order packets (1657153 bytes)
>
> This is after:
>
> tcp:
[...]
>         36688 packets received
>                 1298 out-of-order packets (1770089 bytes)

This is the only thing that is of any interest..
and it could only really be if the etherent driver was re-ordering
them..

possibly FreeBSD 5  might react more to out-of-order packets..

capture a download with tcpdump
and save it (ascii version) to a file using the -ttt option to get
relative timestamps..

look of any large values in the timestamps and see if there is anything
before that indicates a lost packet or a re-ordered one or something
(or a retransmitted ack)

The key is to find the gap in the arriving packets and figure out
what caused it..