Re: The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

From: Munehiro Matsuda <haro_at_kgt.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:02:19 +0900 (JST)
From: Alexander Kabaev <ak03_at_gte.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:09:56 -0400
::Hello everyone,
::
::Since GCC 3.2.x branch is closed in FSF repository and no further
::releases are planned off the 3.2 branch, it was decided that switching
::to a more recent and actively maintained GCC 3.3+ is necessary. The
::system compiler upgrade is in 5.2 TODO list.
::
::GCC 3.3+ will be a system compiler throughout RELENG_5 lifetime.
::
::Unfortunately, importing a newer GCC means that we'll have yet another
::ABI breakage on our hands. GCC 3.3 is more strict in C++ area and
::consequently some of the code that used to be OK with 3.2 will no
::longer compile. All C++ and C programs using old varargs.h interface
::will have to be changed to use stdarg.h instead. GCC 3.3 issues a lot
::more warnings and that will affect programs which were previously
::WARNS-free. I will commit fixes for most of the warnings in src tree
::when a new compiler will be imported. Exceptions are some contributed
::sources and the kernel. Warnings in contributed programs should be fixed
::in upstream sources and kernel warnings will need attention of people
::who know each respective kernel part better than me. I plan to disable
::-Werror for kernel for now. Once offending warnings are fixed, -Werror
::will be switched back on.

Hi,

Thanks for doing the hard work.

While you go fixing things for gcc3.3, can you also fix sys/endian.h
which is broken even with g++3.2? See following URL for more info:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=184918+0+archive/2003/freebsd-hackers/20030622.freebsd-hackers

This is one of the things that are getting in way for JDK1.3.1,
with source from FreeBSD Java Repository, to be compile on
5.1-CURRENT/-RELEASE. :-(

Thanks,
 Haro
           _ _    Munehiro (haro) Matsuda
 -|- /_\  |_|_|   Internet Solution Dept., Kubota Graphics Technologies Inc.
 /|\ |_|  |_|_|   2-8-8 Shinjuku Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0022, Japan
                  Tel: +81-3-3225-0767  Fax: +81-3-3225-0740
                  Email: haro_at_kgt.co.jp