Re: HTT on single CPU?

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:01:55 -0700
Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:14:47AM -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> I can confirm my 2.4G P4 does have HTT:

This is unfortunately not definitive for CPUs other than your
own.  The "Intel Extends..." announcement that was quoted really
means two things:

o	Parts with those speeds fabricated before "Intel Extends..."
	announcement *don't* support it.

o	Parts fabricated after the anouncement *may* support it, or
	may require specific parts/steppings, out of the set of those
	currently being fabricated, in order to support it.

So it's still necessary to look at the CPUID result and the probe
result messages out of dmesg for other people who think P4 == HTT
automatically, because your part may be from an older mask, and
even if there are no older masks currently in fabrication, it
could have sat in a cardboard box in a warehouse for a long time
before it fell into your hands.

To add to the confusion, the "slower" P4's they announce may have
been downclocked out of a large fabrication run that failed to pass
certification testing at the higher speed, and had their gates
lasered to "turn them into" lower speed parts; and the announcement
was just Intel's way of recovering part of their loss on the deal
(yeah, I know, I'm a cynic ;^)).

-- Terry