Re: 3D graphic cards

From: Scott M. Likens <damm_at_infinitevoid.net>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 11:34:00 -0700
On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 07:03, Bruno Afonso wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
> > "Julian St." <der_julian_at_web.de> writes:
> >
> >>is there any list that provides information about what graphic cards
> >>on FreeBSD have supported 3D acceleration? (I need only X-Video
> >>support in particular, but it seems tied to 3D acceleration).
> >

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/
> >
> > Radeon-based cards (up to 8500) are fairly cheap and work well.
>
> No they don't. I have a radeon 7200 and at the moment the support seems
> to be broken (I don't think anyone has updated XFree to fix it). This is
> on 5.1. Search the -current archives and you will someone also
> complaining about it.

That's funny knowing I have a ATI Radeon 7200 and I have ALWAYS
supported FreeBSD and the ATI Radeon for ages.  Ever since one person
known as 'erek' showed me DRI-HEAD i've learned that XFree86 4.3.0 is
just a little outdated.

I use DRI-HEAD on my other server that is using a Matrox G400 Dual Head
also, works snappy on 5.1

I stopped relying on XFree to keep updating their stuff along time ago.
I've had problems with DRI admitidly but it works now.

They get the kinks out in waves if you ask me.

--
Scott M. Likens <damm_at_infinitevoid.net>