Re: Regarding VMWare 3.0 Port and an odd bug that i've been getting over and over again...

From: Christopher Nehren <apeiron_at_comcast.net>
Date: 12 Jul 2003 10:51:25 -0400
The "not implemented" error message suggests to me that the VM (in this
case, Win2K) is attempting to perform an operation that the emulation
software (or its underlying operating system -- in this case, Linux
2.4.2 under FreeBSD emulation) doesn't know how to perform. I received a
similar message when attempting to install Windows XP on VMWare 2.x --
however, IIRC, mine didn't crash or require a hard reboot. My hypothesis
is that -- were this a real, modern Linux machine -- that operation
would succeed. However, since this is a binary emulation situation (one
that itself manages its own layer of binary emulation), and one that
more directly interfaces with the underlying hardware than most Linux
emulated programs, the likelihood for such an operation to fail
increases. As far as I understand it, the solution involves more fully
implementing the Linux emulation.

Either this, or it could just be a plain bug in VMWare -- though I've
learned from experience that it's always best to blame oneself before
assuming others are at fault.