Re: LDT entries and WINE and Threads..

From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer_at_dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:32:10 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I'm looking at this and I think that my interpretation is that
> WINE, under FreeBSD, blindly allocates LDT entries starting at location 17,
> without looking to see if they are in use already..

Do you think that's a bug in Wine, or just a Linuxism?  In both cases, I
suggest you contact the Wine developers at wine-devel_at_winehq.com who have
been relatively responsive wrt. portability improvements (and dozens of
patches I submitted to them to keep Wine building and running on FreeBSD).

> It seems to me that we could better serve the applications by having a
> differnt API for setting LDTs, and that the kernel should keep track of
> which is free and which is not.

I agree that, even if there is a bug/Linuxism in Wine, we are better off
by remaining as closely to the behavior of Linux in cases like this, for
in the end, if something breaks on FreeBSD while it works on GNU/Linux,
it makes little difference to the user _why_ it broke.

> comments?

Thanks for your efforts in this area! ;-)  As emulators/wine maintainer
and regular upstream contributor, I'd appreciate being Cc:ed on relevant
messages on this (not the least because user support requests often arrive
in my inbox).

Gerald (_at_FreeBSD.org)
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer_at_dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/