Re: PATCH - acpi 0619

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:29:14 -0700
> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> I've prepared a new diff of the 0619 drop of acpica along with the
> appropriate changes to support code:
>
> * Use ACPI_BUFFER as the type for AcpiGetObjectInfo
> * Remove AcpiEnableEvent/AcpiClearEvent for ACPI_EVENT_FIXED (power/sleep
> buttons) as they are no longer needed
> * Change calls to use the new GPE functions
> * Add AcpiOs*Lock functions
> * Import 0619 + local FreeBSD changes + dsmthdat.c patch (from
> kochi_at_netbsd.org)
>
> Please test and let me know how this works for you.  It works fine on my
> IBM T23.
>
>   http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/acpi-0619.diff.gz

OK. I installed the patches on my T30 and saw no clear regressions,
although I'd like to do more testing. I did get many more errors at
boot time, all early in the operation. messages attached.

Also, after patching, I tried building world and it would not work due
to undefined symbols in the boot/i386/libi386 build. I have put the
errors into the attachment at the top.

Observed problems: USB does not recover from suspend. Display
back-light say on after suspend. (Neither of these is different from
the CURRENT code.

Another issue that I recently noted after a complaint that battery
life was worse with FreeBSD than with Linux or Windows. I have noted
that the CPU does not seem to slow even though the system claims that
it is reduced to 50% in economy mode.

Instead, the CPU always seems to run at 1.8 GHz if it was on AC at
power-up and 1.2 GHz if the system was on battery at power-up. THIS IS
EXACTLY THE SAME THING I SEE WITH APM! So it's not a regression, but
somehow something is simply not right here. And it now appears that the
problem is not specific to T30s or even IBMs as the other report was
not an IBM, but a Compaq. I plan to do further testing of this to
confirm some details.

Since I could not build a new world with the patch in place, I have
backed it out for now.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)