Re: Error building /rescue on -current

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:50:51 -0700
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Has anyone mentioned problems in buildworld in the building
> of the new /rescue directory?

Yes, they have.  <sigh>

> make: don't know how to make
> /usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue//usr/src/sbin/dhclient/client/clparse.o.
> Stop
> *** Error code 2

> I am building with -j5 on a dual-processor i386 system, if
> that's significant.

So far, every report of this problem has had these two
elements in common:

  * parallel builds
  * dhclient/client/clparse.o

I've tried tracing through the crunchgen-generated Makefile for
/rescue (/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue/rescue.mk) and the
dhclient makefile (/usr/src/sbin/dhclient/Makefile) and have yet
to come up with anything.  (To be honest, I haven't even managed
to reproduce this problem.)  Both of these makefiles are pretty
peculiar, and I had the devil of a time getting it to work correctly
for serial builds, so I shouldn't be surprised that it's causing
problems.

Maybe someone who understands parallel make better than I do
could suggest something to look for?

Tim Kientzle