Re: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M support

From: william paul <wpaul_at_windriver.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Boris Georgiev
had to walk into mine and say:

> Kenneth,
>
> As I already posted William, I have bad news - it doesn't work for me. I
> rebuilt kernel yesterday with
> the patched sources and the only thing that happened is that the kernel
> recognised the LAN card and
> after that it tried to upload the firmware on the NIC chip, but
> unsuccessfully.

Uh....

First of all, the driver does not load any firmware into the chip.

Second, you're not supposed to tell me your interpretation of what
happened: you're supposed to cut&paste the messages into an e-mail
so that I can see for myself what happened.

Please show me all of the information that led you to your conclusion
that this alleged firmware upload failed.

> It gave me out
> an timeout message and didn't load the driver at all. I am sorry that at
> this time I cannot send
> the exact message from the kernel, but the notbook is at my office, so I
> will post it
> tomorrow if the output will help for finding out what the problem is.
> Best regards,

Ok, note to all reading this: if I ask for information and you don't
have the information available, don't bother sending me an e-mail
just to tell me that you don't have the information available. Wait
until you do have the information available, and then e-mail me. You'll
save precious time and electrons.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
      "If stupidity were a handicap, you'd have the best parking spot."