Re: ``Resource temporarily unavailable'' in vi

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:04 -0700
Mark Murray wrote:
> Mikhail Teterin writes:
> > Every once in a while, a vi-session dies on me with:
> >
> >       input: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > What does it mean, why does it happen, and how can I prevent it?
>
> I'm seeing this on current. I use bash, and the machine is not
> loaded. The heaviest process is spamassassin. There isn't even X running
> on the box.

One way to track this down, if it's that repeatable for everyone,
would be to open another terminal window, get the pid of the
program that's going to do this, and then:

	truss -p <pid> | grep "Resource temp"

...or just let it run to completion, and you'll get some context,
too, in your scrollback buffer.

Knowing what system call is failing would be very helpful toward
tracking the problem down.

-- Terry